Friday, September 7, 2007

Dutch inDuctions and Dirty Dancin' Dutchies

My sister was inducted into the Dutch Hall 'o' Fame where the mayor talked in the City Hall of Enschede for about 5 hours in Dutch....and then she got a flag. No, really - she is now officially Dutch and denying her Texas heritage. She's going down! My bro-in-law's family came for the big event, and since his parents speak little English and his Oma...none, I was actually silent for most of the weekend. I know, I know. Who knew I could keep my mouth shut? To celebrate my sister's confirmation/initiation/induction/allIremembeisfreefoodanddrinks...tion, we went to a Texas restaurant to celebrate. Since I was the only true Texan, I got the rest of the fam arrested and placed in jail. As you can see by my BIL's dad's hat, it was quite the party :) (Does that make him my half in-law? or in-law in-law? or perhaps outlaw)

The next night we went to A and M's wedding reception. During Dutch wedding receptions, the caterers walk around with once plate of food every hour or so. Therefore, P (my BIL) and I like to stalk the caterers and fill up as fast as possible. Yes, folks, he is wearing a Stetson. So I decided to stay away from the notion of anything alcoholic that night since I had been sick the whole week before (OJ anyone?) and let me just say...watching my sister "party" the night away made me realize "Yoikes! My friends look pretty silly when they are drunky drunk...is that what I look like?" (Sigh). Of course I HAD to start the dancing, and it took the Dutch quite a few drinks before they would even get out there. Everybody was making out with their significant others, and I thought to myself...Self? I shall go home and enjoy my book on this fine Saturday eve. And I did! My single life can be wild and crazy at times, boy oh boy. Eh, well. The grass is always greener on the other side...

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I'm not denying my Texas heritage. I have dual citizenship!